Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Post 7 Start of strongback

As i said in the start all I am building this boat on is a bench so the next step has to put some strength into it so the ply will not flop all over the place.
So I start with a section of the 12mm ply sheet 400mm long by the width of the sheet 1200mm.
On to this I have glued and screwed a 1/4 round section (4 of these sections will produce a round pole that is 2in (50mm) across ) so that is the size when I put it on the sheet I allowed a bend into the center so that when it is in place on the bottom of the boat there is a small 1/4 in (6mm) concave.
The plan is that the boat becomes it's own strongback.



I also gave it a Tumblehome, This 1 is very pronounced as it is centered on the center of the bottom of the sheet, if you would like you can go straight up for the sides ( this may make the gunnel a bit weak as there is no strength in untorched ply) or if you like a less curve run your Tumblehome arc from the far side ..(again this may be weak).
OK the reason for the small concave in the bottom is that it is harder to lift the boat out of the water due to the suction of water until air gets in, (get a bucket ,dunk it in water turn it upside down and then lift it out of the water it will get heavy until it lets air in to replace the water)
It may not work on this boat (but it may help in a slight breeze when sailing to stop it tipping over as much) may be just a waist of time .
So now here is the next bit of may or may not work bit of dribble,...I am not putting the transom at the rear of the bottom sheet I am putting it with the 1/4 round section 1in (25mm) back from the end of the sheet that is the bottom.
Reason is that as a boat with a square to bottom transom moves along the water passing under the boat will jump up at the transom and hold the boat as it forms small eddies (in my theory that holds the boat back) so this trailing edge may just get rid of my perceived problem. (tell you when I get it in the water).
Blog is playing up so will post photos later if this saves...

No comments:

Post a Comment